Sunday, January 22, 2017

Books of the Month - December

December was a slow month for books for me. I had a lot going on and was quite anxious and upset, which results in less time for reading for me. I did read six books, though, which brought my 2016 total up to 81 books! Of those 81 books, 35 were paperbacks, including ones I own, ones I borrowed, and ones I got out from the library. 36 were eBooks and were a combination of ones I bought and ones I requested on NetGalley. 8 were hardcover and were again a mixture of ones I bought and ones I borrowed. Two were audiobooks and these were both borrowed from the library.

Of the 81, the vast majority by over half were Young Adult books - 48, in fact. A further 8 were either kids books or middle grade books (where, for instance, I personally place the Wells & Wong novels). 16 books were general adult fiction. 9 were crime novels, which is my second favourite genre but which I have totally neglected in recent years. I read three anthologies of short stories which isn't usually my thing but which I enjoyed.

Anyway, here's what I read.


The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon - I liked this, but found the set up a little bit false. My review is here



This was for Jenny's book club and I really enjoyed it. It's a book of short stories and a few of them really stood out as excellent, I enjoyed them all though. I sent the book on to Janet because I thought she'd like it.


This is a book of short stories all on the theme of "home", written by YA authors to raise money for the charity Crisis. A few annoyed me, but it was mostly okay. My review is here.


I absolutely love the Wells & Wong books and this one was particularly lovely. It's set at Christmas so it got me right in the mood. My review is here.


This is also set at Christmas (do you sense a theme) and it was only okay, I didn't love it. It didn't have enough grit to it and the love interest was just a perfect boy which I found annoying, My review is here anyway.


I absolutely loved this book. I would've written it very differently but for me looking at that is part of the enjoyment of reading! I really liked the main character. I wrote more about it here.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I felt very 'meh' about What Light. I am so excited to read the Julie Orringer, it's been on my To Read list for ages! Thanks for sending me your copy :)

    ReplyDelete