Saturday, June 18, 2016

Books of the Month - May

Here's what I read in May, it was a good month for books!


I was looking forward to reading this as I'd heard so much about it, and although it wasn't perfect, it was still pretty good. Here's my in-depth review. 


I read this on the plane to France and didn't really like it. Not worth it


I really liked the premise of this book, which was set on the last day of World War One and is about three young men, one British, one American, and one German. I don't feel like it lived up to its premise really though. Here's my in-depth review though. 


I absolutely loved this, but then I really liked Wonder, which is the book about Auggie himself. These stories are a very cute coda to the novel. You can see my in-depth review here, but do read this and Wonder. 


This was the book like Memoirs of a Geisha that I read. It's about a woman who loses her daughter and grandson in the Nagasaki nuclear bombing. I really really liked it and am glad I took a chance on it. Here's my review.


I didn't love this, but it was okay. I got it from the library in my village which has a small YA section. Here's my review.


This was a really strange book and I only read it all because it's really short so it didn't take long. It's weird because it's basically about three kids who travel back in time to Ellis Island to see immigrants arriving on boats, and then they have to help some of the immigrants and in the process they learn all about coming to America. It felt like it was an educational book too much!


I really liked this book, and it may be the winner of the Carnegie medal. It's about a girl whose dad has just died, and her complicated relationship with her mum and stepdad. My review is here


I like a lot of Joanne Harris' novels, and one of my favourites is Gentlemen and Players which is set in a boys' school in a Yorkshire village. So when I heard this sequel was coming out I ordered it straight away and put it to the top of my TBR pile (which isn't actually a thing because if it was it would crush me to death). I liked it, but I felt it was over long and quite repetitive in parts, it needed some editing.


I got this free from Netgalley and enjoyed it. It's about a girl whose Mum has died of a meth overdose and her life clearly gets turned upside down with the arrival of an uncle she didn't know. It's good, I recommend it. My review is here.


I absolutely loved this, it was as close to a perfect book as I read in May. It's about conjoined twins and it's written in free verse, which I was sceptical of but which really worked. I loved it! My review is here

This was an awful lot of reading! Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment