Thursday, September 24, 2015

Books of the Month - August 2015

I read some cracking books in August, most of which I've reviewed on my other blog. Here's some brief rundowns, though.



Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli - I loved this. It was a perfect example of a YA book. Simon is incredibly likeable and the storyline - of him being forced out of the closet - is fantastic. Definitely read this.



Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel - this is a fantastic post-apocalyptic novel. 90% of the population dies from a flu epidemic, and those who are left struggle to survive. Again, I definitely recommend this.



Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks - this is about the village of Eyam, in the Derbyshire Peaks, which got the Plague in 1665 and willingly cut itself off so that the disease didn't spread. This is a fictional account of the true story, and it's good, albeit very dense in prose. It was my book club book, otherwise I don't think I'd have ever picked it up.



Everything Beautiful by Simmone Howell - this is a YA novel set in Australia, which is a rarity for me. I liked it, the main character is unapologetically plus size (even though the cover illustration wouldn't let you know this...) and the love interest is disabled.



The Third Coin by J A Howard - I was so-so on this. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. It's a middle grade novel set in New York but with Arthurian legends twisted in. It is a bit clumsily done, but I enjoyed it well enough I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment